Small fire erupts at Valdosta movie theater -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Small fire erupts at Valdosta movie theater


Business is back to normal at a Valdosta movie theater after a small fire broke out over the weekend.

Around 8 p.m. Saturday night an electrical short in the wiring of the Ashley Cinemas sign caused a fire. The Valdosta Fire Chief says they evacuated about 100 patrons from the theater and quickly put out the fire. There was no damage to the building and no injuries.

"The workers there noticed the problem, alerted the fire department. We had a quick response, only a 3 minute response time, which helped us do our job of saving what could have been a very tragic event," said Fire Chief JD Rice.

Theater officials say they have since turned off the sign and will have an electrician fix the wiring.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly