Fatal fire blamed on smoking - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire victim identified

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany Fire Chief James Carswell says the fire that killed a 66-year-old woman over the weekend in the Rawson Circle neighborhood was caused by smoking.

Elizabeth Barry's body was found in her bedroom at 717 West 4th Avenue. 

"We know from relatives that she was a heavy smoker the area where the fire started was in the area around the nightstand where her smoking materials and ash trays were kept so based on all that we've determined it was smoking related," said Fire Chief James Carswell.

Carswell says three of the last four fatal structure fires his department has responded to were caused by smoking.

AFD Battalion Chief Daniel Potter said units responded to the home around 9:00AM Sunday and found a large portion of it burning.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.