Albany house fire sparked by spliced electrical cord - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany house fire sparked by spliced electrical cord

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Trial in salmonella outbreak could exceed 2 months

    Trial in salmonella outbreak could exceed 2 months

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:17 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:17:58 GMT
    Sign at the Peanut Corporation of AmericaSign at the Peanut Corporation of America
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia could last for at least two months.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia could last for at least two months.More >>
  • Missing Alzheimer's patient found safe

    Missing Alzheimer's patient found safe

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:06 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:06:12 GMT
    71-year-old Ronald Sutton Hausman was last seen around 10 o'clock Tuesday night leaving his home in the 1700 block of Doug Lane, and was recovered in that vicinity.More >>
    71-year-old Ronald Sutton Hausman was last seen around 10 o'clock Tuesday night leaving his home in the 1700 block of Doug Lane, and was recovered in that vicinity.More >>
  • Sales tax holiday halts some state roadwork

    Sales tax holiday halts some state roadwork

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:04 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:04:03 GMT
    The Georgia Department of Transportation will suspend construction-related lane closures within five miles of a shopping mall or major shopping district on all interstates and major state routes beginning at 8 a.m. Friday, Aug. 1 through 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2.More >>
    The Georgia Department of Transportation will suspend construction-related lane closures within five miles of a shopping mall or major shopping district on all interstates and major state routes beginning at 8 a.m. Friday, Aug. 1 through 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Firefighters now say a weekend fire at an Albany home was sparked by a homemade cord on a space heater.

The blaze in the garage addition at 1500 Gillespie Avenue was spotted at 11 Sunday morning.

Investigators say a spliced cord on Minnie Warren's space heater sparked the fire that caused about $7000 in damage.

Firefighters urge you never to alter an electrical cord or use extension cords with space heaters. 

Copyright 2013  WALB.  All rights reserved.