6-year-old boy playing X-Box saves family from fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

6-year-old boy playing X-Box saves family from fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Thursday, July 31 2014 4:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 08:34:46 GMT
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
  • Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:42:06 GMT
    Dr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant CoachDr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant Coach
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
  • Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:34:18 GMT
    William D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District CommanderWilliam D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District Commander
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>
BROWNSVILLE, TN -

(WMC-TV) - Seven people were inside a 100-year-old house on Windrow Road in Brownsville when fire broke out.

The family inside made it out alive thanks to a 6-year-old boy.

Taylor Hendrix was up late playing X-Box at his grandparents house around 4 a.m. Saturday when fire erupted inside.

"It started in the attic and came down the chimney," Hendrix said.

"He came in there and he was screaming papa, papa the house is on fire," said his grandmother, Paula Brown.

Brown and her husband, Mike, were all inside the burning house, along with five of their grandchildren.

When little Taylor woke them up, they quickly ran outside.

"Lost everything...everything we own," added Mike.

Brown used a water hose behind the house to try and put the fire out. But, it was too involved.

"Thank God he was up. He's my little hero. That's my tater-bug," the boy's grandmother said. 

As a tree next to the house continued to smolder, Taylor and his family looked at the damage for the first time.

"It happened so quick, seven minutes, maybe 10 at the most...it was all done," Mike Brown said.

Brown is a meter reader in the city of Brownsville.

He says city employees and many local churches are pitching in to help them rebuild.

"Everything's gone. Gotta move on. Can't live in the past...pick up and start over again," Mike explained.

As this family tries to move on, they say they will be forever thankful.

"My grandson saved my life. He most certainly did," said Paula.

If you'd like to reach out and help Mike and Paula Brown, you can reach their family by calling 731-443-2882.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.