Worth Co. cotton gin fire started by spontaneous combustion - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Worth Co. cotton gin fire started by spontaneous combustion

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Duplex on fire again after molotov cocktail attack

    Duplex on fire again after molotov cocktail attack

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:05 AM EDT2014-08-20 13:05:03 GMT
     Firefighters are investigating another fire at an Albany duplex on that was hit earlier this week with a molotov cocktail.
    Fire crews were called to the duplex in the 600 block of West Gordon Avenue around 6 Wednesday morning.
    More >>
     Firefighters are investigating another fire at an Albany duplex on that was hit earlier this week with a molotov cocktail.
    Fire crews were called to the duplex in the 600 block of West Gordon Avenue around 6 Wednesday morning.
    More >>
  • East Albany duplex fire

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:28 AM EDT2014-08-20 11:28:59 GMT
    Firefighters are on the scene of a duplex fire in the 1100 block of Clark Avenue. Around 05:22 this morning crews arrived and saw heavy smoke coming from the home.More >>
    Firefighters are on the scene of a duplex fire in the 1100 block of Clark Avenue. Around 05:22 this morning crews arrived and saw heavy smoke coming from the home.More >>
  • Closing arguments in murder trial set for Wednesday morning

    Closing arguments in murder trial set for Wednesday morning

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:27 AM EDT2014-08-20 11:27:27 GMT
    (left to right) Ezekial James and Jordan Harris(left to right) Ezekial James and Jordan Harris
    Closing arguments in the trial accusing two men of robbing and killing former Lee County Commissioner and Albany businessman is set for Wednesday morning.More >>
    Closing arguments in the trial accusing two men of robbing and killing former Lee County Commissioner and Albany businessman is set for Wednesday morning.More >>
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) -

We now know the cause of a fire at a Worth County cotton gin that caused more than a half million dollars in damage.

Worth county Fire officials ruled it as spontaneous combustion.

Officials say cotton is like another one of Georgia's top commodities, peanuts.  When the right amount of moisture meets the right amount of heat, it can lead to a spontaneous combustion.

The fire started around 2:30 Thursday afternoon at the Worth Cotton Gin on Highway 82 right outside Sylvester.

Crews were on the scene for hours putting out hotspots at this warehouse that held 2,200 tons of cotton seeds.

The Owner of the Gin did not want to go on camera, but told us the damage is in the $600,000 dollar range.

Fire officials say this type of incident isn't as unusual as you might think.

"Normally about every three or four years we have a fire a one of the warehouses where seeds are held just because of the combustion. If there's any little bit of moisture, the moisture itself will make it go through a heat on a hot day and then it will combust," said Worth County Fire Department Captain John Graddy.

There were about 8 or 9 workers on site at the time of the fire, no workers or firefighters were hurt.

The owner of the gin told us those cotton seeds are insured.

An insurance adjustor will survey the damage early next week.

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.