Moody AFB false threat came from another base - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Moody AFB false threat came from another base

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Moultrie Spring Fling forges ahead

    Moultrie Spring Fling forges ahead

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:48:26 GMT
    The rain isn't putting a damper on Moultrie's Spring Fling and Backyard Barbeque festival.   This year the festival will be bigger, and features new activities.   The Colquitt County arts center has partneredMore >>
    The rain isn't putting a damper on Moultrie's Spring Fling and Backyard Barbeque festival.   This year the festival will be bigger, and features new activities.More >>
  • GA Secretary of State helps Valwood students register to vote

    GA Secretary of State helps Valwood students register to vote

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:41 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:41:35 GMT
    Seniors at Valwood High School in Hahira are now registered to vote, thanks to a new online voter registration program. Georgia Secretary of State, Brian Kemp, was at the high school Friday morning toMore >>
    Seniors at Valwood High School in Hahira are now registered to vote, thanks to a new online voter registration program. Georgia Secretary of State, Brian Kemp, was at the high school Friday morning to walk the students through the program.More >>
  • VSU opens new Health Sciences Building

    VSU opens new Health Sciences Building

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:34:33 GMT
    Valdosta State University's new, 150,000 sq ft. Health Sciences Building is now officially open. University officials, along with Georgia's Attorney General and Secretary of State, were on hand forMore >>
    University officials, along with Georgia's Attorney General and Secretary of State, were on hand for the ribbon cutting Friday morning.More >>
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

There are still a lot of unanswered questions tonight about that active shooter threat called into Moody Air Force Base that led to a full lock down yesterday afternoon.

We do know that the computer generated phone calls came from another military base and were not intended for Moody.

Regular operations resumed at Moody Air Force Base today. Yesterday, a SWAT team gathered outside the base after several airmen received automated phone calls saying there was a shooter on base.

Moody was put on lock down. A hour and a half later, authorities determined it was a false alarm and lifted the lock down. Today Moody officials say that phone call came from another base.

"Yes they were originated by the military. We do not know the exact location that those calls came from," said Maj. Brian Loveless, Moody Air Force.

Lowndes County Sheriff Chris Prine says he believes the call was part of a drill at another base.

"That's what we understand now. The call-out came from another base and I think it was just an exercise," said Prine.

Moody officials say they take any type of threat very seriously and initiated the proper emergency plan; even though no gun shots were heard and no one was reported injured.

"When we received a perceived threat of this nature, we're not going to wait for shots to be fired before we respond. We enacted our active shooter plan just like we would if shots had been fired. Luckily, in this case the perceived threat wasn't exactly what it was," said Loveless.

Loveless says Moody is thankful for the quick response from the Sheriff's Office.

"As part of our active shooter plan, they are written into those plans. So when we need their help, and in this case we called them for precautionary measures, we stage them off base as a support role only," said Loveless.

The Sheriff says his office will continue to work close with Moody anytime the base needs assistance.

Moody investigators say they have not yet determined what military base those phone calls were intended for.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow