Cats die in house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cats die in house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Educational leaders visit MCLB

    Educational leaders visit MCLB

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:54 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:54:12 GMT
    Dougherty County educational leaders got a first hand look at the operations at the Marine Corps Logisitics Base Friday. This tour is believed to be the start in building a strong relationship to improveMore >>
    Dougherty County educational leaders got a first hand look at the operations at the Marine Corps Logisitics Base Friday. This tour is believed to be the start in building a strong relationship to improve education in Albany.More >>
  • Community supports teen with muscular dystrophy, throws party

    Community supports teen with muscular dystrophy, throws party

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:50 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:50:17 GMT
    A community is coming together to host a party for a Worth County teen who is fighting for his life.More >>
    A community is coming together to host a party for a Worth County teen who is fighting for his life.More >>
  • Moultrie Spring Fling forges ahead

    Moultrie Spring Fling forges ahead

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:48:26 GMT
    The rain isn't putting a damper on Moultrie's Spring Fling and Backyard Barbeque festival.   This year the festival will be bigger, and features new activities.   The Colquitt County arts center has partneredMore >>
    The rain isn't putting a damper on Moultrie's Spring Fling and Backyard Barbeque festival.   This year the festival will be bigger, and features new activities.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters responded to a house fire at 1209 Van Deman Street, a little after 11:00AM.

Richard Tipper was not home when the fire broke out. A passerby and a Water Gas and Light employee spotted smoke coming from the home and called 911.

Firefighters say an electrical short in a space heater in the living room started the fire. It set a couch on fire and it quickly spread.

"The occupant was not here. We did find two pet cats, that had deceased during the fire," said Battalion Chief Clarence Haynes.

Firefighters say the two cats died of smoke inhalation.

The fire damage inside the home was minor, but the entire home sustained heat and smoke damage.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow