Cats die in house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cats die in house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Darton College receives new honor

    Darton College receives new honor

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:37 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:37:42 GMT
    Darton State College receives a new honor.It is ranked 6th in the country among mid-sized colleges in the Center for Digital Education's annual Digital Community Colleges Survey.More >>
    Darton State College receives a new honor.It is ranked 6th in the country among mid-sized colleges in the Center for Digital Education's annual Digital Community Colleges Survey.More >>
  • NFL domestic violence punishment a step in the right direction

    NFL domestic violence punishment a step in the right direction

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:34:28 GMT
    Silke Deeley, Liberty House Executive DirectorSilke Deeley, Liberty House Executive Director
    The director of an Albany women's shelter is glad the NFL is sending a strong message against domestic violence .Yesterday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell put tough new punishments in place for players who commit domestic violence. More >>
    The director of an Albany women's shelter is glad the NFL is sending a strong message against domestic violence .Yesterday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell put tough new punishments in place for players who commit domestic violence. More >>
  • Albany fire department recruits 15 firefighters

    Albany fire department recruits 15 firefighters

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:29 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:29:55 GMT
    Richard Lynn, Albany FirefighterRichard Lynn, Albany Firefighter
    More than a dozen men and women begin their careers as Albany firefighters. Within a couple of hours, some of those men and women will work at stations throughout the county to serve and protect our community.More >>
    More than a dozen men and women begin their careers as Albany firefighters. Within a couple of hours, some of those men and women will work at stations throughout the county to serve and protect our community.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany firefighters responded to a house fire at 1209 Van Deman Street, a little after 11:00AM.

Richard Tipper was not home when the fire broke out. A passerby and a Water Gas and Light employee spotted smoke coming from the home and called 911.

Firefighters say an electrical short in a space heater in the living room started the fire. It set a couch on fire and it quickly spread.

"The occupant was not here. We did find two pet cats, that had deceased during the fire," said Battalion Chief Clarence Haynes.

Firefighters say the two cats died of smoke inhalation.

The fire damage inside the home was minor, but the entire home sustained heat and smoke damage.

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.