Moultrie burn victim flown to Augusta -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Moultrie burn victim flown to Augusta


Mary Bryant, age 44, was airlifted to the Joseph A. Still Burn Center in Augusta Thursday morning after a fire in her Moultrie home, blamed on a cigarette. 

Medical officials wanted to use a helicopter, but fog required them to use an airplane instead.

Fire officials say the fire started about 5:00 Thursday morning in the house at 111 11th Street Southwest.  They responded quickly and got the fire extinguished.

The Georgia State Insurance and Safety Fire Commission issued this statement-

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said an investigation by his office revealed that a fire today that injured a Colquitt County woman was apparently caused by careless smoking.

Mary Bryant, 44, received third-degree burns from the fire at her home located in Moultrie.  Fire Investigators believe that Bryant fell asleep while smoking in bed. She was airlifted by helicopter to the Augusta Burn Center.

Hudgens said the fire was reported around 5:12 a.m. and the blaze was extinguished by the Moultrie Fire Department.

 Cade Fowler will have more from Moultrie this afternoon.



Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly