Moultrie burn victim flown to Augusta - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Moultrie burn victim flown to Augusta

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Albany child gunshot victim still hospitalized

    Albany child gunshot victim still hospitalized

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 6:13 PM EDT2014-04-16 22:13:23 GMT
    An Albany boy who shot himself in the foot Monday remains hospitalized in good condition. Police say 7-year old Kourtney Hicks shot himself at the Dollar Inn about 3:30 Monday afternoon. The child'sMore >>
    A 7 year old boy, who shot himself while playing with a gun, remains hospitalized.More >>
  • Cairo High seniors plead after vandalism

    Cairo High seniors plead after vandalism

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 5:54 PM EDT2014-04-16 21:54:46 GMT
    Some high school seniors who pulled a destructive prank several months ago find out their punishment. They could have gone to jail. The prosecutor didn't think that was the best course to take.   CairoMore >>
    Some high school seniors who pulled a destructive prank several months ago find out their punishment. They could have gone to jail. The prosecutor didn't think that was the best course to take.More >>
  • Man severely burned over a debt

    Man severely burned over a debt

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 5:54 PM EDT2014-04-16 21:54:46 GMT
    An Ashburn man is recovering after he was doused with gasoline and set on fire.  The man accused of doing it is in jail.       Family members and friends of John Lawson say they still can't believe whatMore >>
    Neighbors along Harrison Avenue in Ashburn are still in shock after John Lawson was set on fire.More >>
MOULTRIE, GA (WALB) -

Mary Bryant, age 44, was airlifted to the Joseph A. Still Burn Center in Augusta Thursday morning after a fire in her Moultrie home, blamed on a cigarette. 

Medical officials wanted to use a helicopter, but fog required them to use an airplane instead.

Fire officials say the fire started about 5:00 Thursday morning in the house at 111 11th Street Southwest.  They responded quickly and got the fire extinguished.

The Georgia State Insurance and Safety Fire Commission issued this statement-

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said an investigation by his office revealed that a fire today that injured a Colquitt County woman was apparently caused by careless smoking.

Mary Bryant, 44, received third-degree burns from the fire at her home located in Moultrie.  Fire Investigators believe that Bryant fell asleep while smoking in bed. She was airlifted by helicopter to the Augusta Burn Center.

Hudgens said the fire was reported around 5:12 a.m. and the blaze was extinguished by the Moultrie Fire Department.

 Cade Fowler will have more from Moultrie this afternoon.

 

 

Copyright 2013 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow