Thursday, June 20 2013 12:09 AM EDT2013-06-20 04:09:02 GMT
The Albany Water Gas and light commission is preparing customers for a change that starts soon for those who pay with debit or credit cards. WG&L leaders say the utility is paying $20,000 dollars a monthMore >>
The Albany Water Gas and light commission is preparing customers for a change that starts soon for those who pay with debit or credit cards.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 11:41 PM EDT2013-06-20 03:41:18 GMT
An Albany man who was born when Woodrow Wilson was president celebrated his birthday today. Century Pines Assisted Living Center threw a party for resident Charles Walker who turned 101 today. Walker wasMore >>
An Albany man who was born when Woodrow Wilson was president celebrated his birthday today.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 11:34 PM EDT2013-06-20 03:34:54 GMT
For years, the area right across the street from the RiverQuarium has been rundown, but that's changing. A couple of businesses are thriving there. The new art park is open, and a sidewalk improvementMore >>
For years, the area right across the street from the RiverQuarium has been rundown, but that's changing.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 11:20 PM EDT2013-06-20 03:20:33 GMT
Downtown Albany leaders are looking for ways to make sure the Flint Riverquarium remains an important part of downtown for years to come. Tonight, The Albany Dougherty Inner City Authority board began discussionsMore >>
Downtown Albany leaders are looking for ways to make sure the Flint Riverquarium remains an important part of downtown for years to come.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 6:51 PM EDT2013-06-19 22:51:07 GMT
Ravi Mikel Givens was arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He is being held in the Dougherty County jail. Givens, who played ball at Westover and StetsonMore >>
Agents say that police responded to the apartment because of a burglar alarm. Officers found the back door broken open and went inside. That's where they detected a strong odor of marijuana, and saw pot in plain view.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
South Georgia hospitals say New Year's Eve is often one of their busiest nights. And Firefighters say they will also be ready for an increased risk of fire danger, because they know people will be using sparklers and fireworks to ring in the New Year. That fun can lead to emergency room visits too often.
July the Fourth is a much bigger day for people to light sparklers or fireworks than New Year's Eve, but experts say tonight the chance of injuries from those products is greatly increased, because people are more likely to mix alcohol and fireworks.
Sparklers are legal in Georgia because they are thought to be safer than fireworks. But Emergency Room Doctors say they have seen many injuries from them.
Phoebe Putney Hospital Emergency Room Physician Doctor James Black said "It's much more dangerous than we really think. Even something as pretty as sparklers can burn at more than 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. Which is certainly hot enough to cause injury to adults and to children."
Many South Georgians will bring exploding fireworks from other states, and emergency room doctors say they see too often the results of what they can do to people.
40:52 Dr. Black said "The majority of them are third degree burns. We also have injuries to eyes. Lacerations from fireworks exploding, hitting people. So we get some pretty serious injuries."
The National Fire Protection Association reports that in 2010 more than 8600 people required emergency room treatment for fireworks related injuries. The highest risk was to children from ages 5 to 14.
Firefighters say even the sparkers are significant fire dangers.
Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said "The problem is when you throw them down they are still burning. Once you have an ash there. And it will cause a grass fire or cause pine straw to catch on fire."
Doctors and Firefighters urge parents to supervise their children using sparkers or fireworks. And if you do use fireworks not to try to re-light them if they don't explode.
It would seem to be just common sense, but firefighters remind you not to use sparklers indoors. It's going to be cold tonight, and they say people will do it. In fact in 2010 fireworks caused an estimated 15, 500 fires, resulting in 8 deaths.
Firefighters urge you to wear long sleeves when you burn sparklers, but make it proper type clothing that will not easily catch fire. Also you might keep a bucket of water or sand handy just in case of fire.