Judge rules on LOST revenue - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Judge rules on LOST revenue

TURNER CO., GA (WALB) -

There is a decision in the first dispute decided by arbitration in Georgia over how to split local sales tax revenue.

Senior Judge Wayne Ellerbee ruled in favor of the cities in Turner County granting them 50 percent of the local option sales tax.

This ruling comes after the county and city governments could not agree on how to split the LOST revenue.

Turner County officials wanted 65 percent of the funding, with the remaining 35 percent split among the cities of Ashburn, Sycamore and Rebecca. The judge disagreed.

"The first decision in Georgia by any court, and it was in favor of Ashburn, Sycamore, and Rebecca, and the judge accepted their offer which was to split the money 50/50 with Turner County," said Tommy Coleman, Ashburn, Sycamore, Rebecca Attorney

The case was the first in the state to go all the way to Superior Court.

Local governments must reach deals on how to split the revenue every 10 years.

Those new agreements must be in place by the end of the year.

Copyright 2012 WALB. All rights reserved.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • PetSmart holds national adoption weekend for pets

    PetSmart holds national adoption weekend for pets

    Monday, February 19 2018 12:33 AM EST2018-02-19 05:33:47 GMT
    Nearly 40 animals were adopted out over the weekend at Petsmart. (Source: WALB)Nearly 40 animals were adopted out over the weekend at Petsmart. (Source: WALB)

    Dozens of animals in Southwest Georgia are curled up in new homes tonight.  That's thanks to PetSmart's National Adoption Weekend. Saturday three different Humane Societies from South Georgia brought pets looking for new homes to the Albany PetSmart. 

    More >>

    Dozens of animals in Southwest Georgia are curled up in new homes tonight.  That's thanks to PetSmart's National Adoption Weekend. Saturday three different Humane Societies from South Georgia brought pets looking for new homes to the Albany PetSmart. 

    More >>
  • Black history program honors history maker

    Black history program honors history maker

    Sunday, February 18 2018 11:55 PM EST2018-02-19 04:55:08 GMT
    Major General Retired, Alfred Flowers is the longest serving airman in U.S. history. (Source: WALB)Major General Retired, Alfred Flowers is the longest serving airman in U.S. history. (Source: WALB)

    "I'm always honored but more importantly I'm humbled that folks would honor me for doing the nation's business," said Major General Retired, Alfred Flowers. History-maker Major General Retired Alfred Flowers has been in South Georgia this weekend. 

    More >>

    "I'm always honored but more importantly I'm humbled that folks would honor me for doing the nation's business," said Major General Retired, Alfred Flowers. History-maker Major General Retired Alfred Flowers has been in South Georgia this weekend. 

    More >>
  • South Georgia city honored with state recognition

    South Georgia city honored with state recognition

    Sunday, February 18 2018 11:35 PM EST2018-02-19 04:35:21 GMT
    The City of Tifton was one of 9 communities honored with this recognition. (Source: WALB)The City of Tifton was one of 9 communities honored with this recognition. (Source: WALB)

    The City of Tifton hopes a new honor will help boost its economy and quality of life. This month, the Georgia Department of Community Affairs recognized Tifton for successful planning.

    More >>

    The City of Tifton hopes a new honor will help boost its economy and quality of life. This month, the Georgia Department of Community Affairs recognized Tifton for successful planning.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly