Saturday, May 18 2013 11:42 PM EDT2013-05-19 03:42:57 GMT
A Lowndes County man is behind bars after deputies uncovered nearly half a million dollars of marijuana. Deputies responded to a complaint at Jose Sanchez's house on Highway 129 North Friday. AuthoritiesMore >>
A Lowndes County man is behind bars after deputies uncovered nearly half a million dollars of marijuana.
Saturday, May 18 2013 11:42 PM EDT2013-05-19 03:42:03 GMT
Hundreds of people came out to Lake Blackshear Saturday to support law enforcement and the Crisp County Sheriff. It was the first annual pigs in the park event, put on by the Georgia Narcotics Officer'sMore >>
Hundreds of people came out to Lake Blackshear Saturday to support law enforcement and the Crisp County Sheriff.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 9:47 PM EDT2013-05-19 01:47:12 GMT
Thomasville Police are looking for two men who attempted to rob a store, scaring customers and clerks. Police say they responded to the Dollar General on West Jackson Street around 9:15pm Friday. EmployeesMore >>
Thomasville Police are looking for two men who attempted to rob a store, scaring customers and clerks.
Saturday, May 18 2013 6:59 PM EDT2013-05-18 22:59:02 GMT
Dougherty County police are searching for a motorist who hit a pedestrian and then fled the scene. Authorities say it happened around 11pm Friday near the 3900 block of Radium Springs Road. PoliceMore >>
Dougherty County police are searching for a motorist who hit a pedestrian and then fled the scene. More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 6:58 PM EDT2013-05-18 22:58:50 GMT
It's graduation time for high schools in Dougherty County and students are ready to embark on their next journey. 230 graduates received their high school diplomas from Westover Comprehensive High SchoolMore >>
230 graduates received their high school diplomas from Westover Comprehensive High School this Saturday morning.More >>
By The Associated Press
A gunman at a Connecticut elementary school killed 26 people, 20 of them children, and himself on Friday. A look at some other school shootings in years past:
- April 2, 2012: A gunman killed seven people in a rampage at a Christian university in California. The suspect, One Goh, was angry because administrators refused to grant him a full tuition refund after he dropped out of the nursing program, said Jongjin Kim, the Oikos University dean.
- Feb. 27, 2012: Three students were killed and two wounded in a shooting spree that started in a school cafeteria in Chardon, Ohio, as students waited for buses to other schools. Police have charged T.J. Lane, who was 17 at the time, as an adult.
- Feb. 14, 2008: Former student Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill., fatally shooting five students and wounding 18 others before committing suicide.
- April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, fatally shot 32 people in a dorm and a classroom at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, then killed himself.
- Oct. 2, 2006: Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, shot to death five girls at West Nickel Mines Amish School in Pennsylvania, then killed himself.
- March 21, 2005: Jeffrey Weise, 16, shot and killed five schoolmates, a teacher and an unarmed guard at a high school on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota before taking his own life. Weise had earlier killed his grandfather and his grandfather's companion.
- Oct. 28, 2002: Robert Flores Jr., 41, who was flunking out of the University of Arizona nursing school, shot and killed three of his professors before killing himself.
- March 5, 2001: Charles "Andy" Williams, 15, killed two fellow students and wounded 13 others at Santana High School in Santee, Calif.
April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.
- May 21, 1998: Two teenagers were killed and more than 20 people hurt when Kip Kinkel, 17, opened fire at a high school in Springfield, Ore., after killing his parents.
- March 24, 1998: Andrew Golden, 11, and Mitchell Johnson, 13, killed four girls and a teacher at a Jonesboro, Ark., middle school. Ten others were wounded in the shooting.
- Dec. 1, 1997: Three students were killed and five wounded at a high school in West Paducah, Ky. Michael Carneal, then 14, later pleaded guilty but mentally ill to murder and is serving life in prison.
- Oct. 1, 1997: Luke Woodham, 16, of Pearl, Miss., fatally shot two students and wounded seven others after stabbing his mother to death. He was sentenced the following year to three life sentences.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.