House fire causes $25K worth of damage - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

House fire causes $25K worth of damage

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Fire fighters believe unattended food on the stove caused a house fire in South Albany.

Albany firefighters responded to the fire at 815 West Gordon Avenue just after 8 a.m.

Thankfully no one was home at the time of the fire.

But there were several cats in the home, one cat had to be given oxygen.

The blaze was contained to the kitchen area but caused about $25,000 worth of damage.

Firefighters believe the blaze was caused by food left unattended on top of the stove.

"The house does look like it sustained considerable amount of damage, but it was still confined to the kitchen," said Cpt. Ken Turner, Albany Fire Dept.

It took about 800 gallons of water to put the fire out. Animal control took the injured cats to a veterinarian.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow