House fire blamed on electrical short - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

House fire blamed on electrical short

Posted: Updated:
Keith Martin saw smoke coming from the 2022 Acker Drive home Keith Martin saw smoke coming from the 2022 Acker Drive home
AFD believes that an electrical short in a breaker box caused the blaze AFD believes that an electrical short in a breaker box caused the blaze
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany man checked on his mother-in-law's home at just the right time, spotting a fire moments after it started.

Firefighters say a problem in the electrical panel sparked the blaze at this home at 2022 Acker Drive about 9:20 Monday morning. The owner, Rosemary Hesse, was not home. Her son-in-law, Keith Martin, spotted smoke coming out of the attic when he went to check on the home.

"So when we came around the corner there was smoke coming out of the roof", said Martin.  "So David grabbed the water hose and actually put the fire out. And I was calling 9-1-1 and Jackie. By the time they got here I think David had the fire out, but they did a lot more to make sure it was out."

Firefighters say spotting the fire early kept it from spreading and doing more damage.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow