House fire blamed on electrical short - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

House fire blamed on electrical short

Posted: Updated:
Keith Martin saw smoke coming from the 2022 Acker Drive home Keith Martin saw smoke coming from the 2022 Acker Drive home
AFD believes that an electrical short in a breaker box caused the blaze AFD believes that an electrical short in a breaker box caused the blaze
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Team USA track star killed in crash

    Team USA track star killed in crash

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:50 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:50:23 GMT
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
    Track and field field star killed after semi slammed into a stalled car on I-75 in Cordele.More >>
  • PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    PCA faces judge Monday for salmonella outbreak

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:45 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:45:34 GMT
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture.More >>
     Happening today jury selection set to get underway in one of the largest food recall cases in our nation's history. It comes nearly 5 years after a deadly salmonella outbreak was linked to a south Georgia peanut manufacture.More >>
  • UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    UPDATE: Police search for man who shot up two vehicles

    Sunday, July 27 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:38:04 GMT
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>
    Albany police say several shots were fired into an unoccupied vehicle Sunday evening at a restaurant parking lot.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An Albany man checked on his mother-in-law's home at just the right time, spotting a fire moments after it started.

Firefighters say a problem in the electrical panel sparked the blaze at this home at 2022 Acker Drive about 9:20 Monday morning. The owner, Rosemary Hesse, was not home. Her son-in-law, Keith Martin, spotted smoke coming out of the attic when he went to check on the home.

"So when we came around the corner there was smoke coming out of the roof", said Martin.  "So David grabbed the water hose and actually put the fire out. And I was calling 9-1-1 and Jackie. By the time they got here I think David had the fire out, but they did a lot more to make sure it was out."

Firefighters say spotting the fire early kept it from spreading and doing more damage.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.