Early morning apartment fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Early morning apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Albany Firefighters are investigating a fire at WestWood Apartments. No one was hurt during the fire.

However firefighters evacuated two apartments because of heavy smoke damage. Albany Firefighters responded to 2010 West Broad, apartment 161, shortly before 2:30.

After arriving, they immediately went to work putting out the flames. We're told the fire started in the wall behind the ac unit.

Firefighters had to tear down the wall and ceiling just to put out the flames. Right now, it's being labeled an electrical fire.

"When it gets cold the heaters are pulling in more. It's always a good thing to have your heating systems checked out. Basically when it's an electrical fire, it's an accident. You can't really predict those," said Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose.

It took firefighters 30 minutes to have everything under control. Apartment 161 and 162 had to be evacuated because of heavy smoke damage.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

Powered by WorldNow