Vet: Keep your pet save this Thanksgiving -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Vet: Keep your pet save this Thanksgiving


Don't forget about safety for your pets on Thanksgiving and throughout the holidays.

Table scraps can lead to gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea and pancreatitis in dogs.

Even giving your dog a bone can be a mistake.

"What we typically see with dogs that get bones, is they ingest the marrow inside of the bones which is 50% fat and 50% red blood cells and white blood cells and that high fat content can really cause problems with the pancreas," said veterinarian Dr. Steve Whatley with Bush Animal Clinic.

Vets also recommend that you make sure garbage bags are sealed tightly and containers are covered to prevent your pets from getting into something that may hurt them.


Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

Powered by Frankly