South Albany woman has carbon monoxide scare - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

South Albany woman has carbon monoxide scare

Patricia Davis Patricia Davis
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

A South Albany woman got the surprise of her life, Monday, when she came home to a ringing carbon monoxide alarm.

She was not injured, but had it not been for her alarm, the outcome could have been much different because of that silent killer.

Fire crews responded to the call at a house on Holloway Avenue after Patricia Davis came home and discovered her carbon monoxide alarm was going off.

"I'm thankful to God. Very thankful to God and I'm very thankful for the fire department for responding so quickly," said Davis.

Albany Fire officials suspect the carbon monoxide came from a gas leak from a heater in the house.

Davis believes that carbon monoxide detector may have saved her life.

On average, about 170 people in the United States die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"We would have went in, not realizing it could have been going on longer than just today, it just got to a point where the alarm went off," said Davis.

"If you have any gas powered stove, water heater or furnace, it's very important to have a carbon monoxide detector, Carbon Monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless," said AFD Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose.

Battalion Chief Ambrose says this is the time of year when more people crank up those gas powered appliances to keep warm, increasing the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Regular maintenance checks on those appliances are a must.

"Anytime you have a gas powered unit, it has a vent somewhere to vent out and if you close it up and you do have a leak it's going to stay inside with you," said Ambrose.

As for Davis she has a word of advice, so other won't become victims of this silent killer.

"Everybody, especially the elderly, the ill and people with young children get a carbon monoxide detector. If you can, put one put one in each room because that's really what saved our lives today," said Davis.

She hopes you learn from her experience.

A carbon monoxide detector can cost anywhere from $25 to $70 and you purchase one from your local hardware store.

 

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • South Georgia group aims to stop underage drinking

    South Georgia group aims to stop underage drinking

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:44:07 GMT
    South Georgia Starz working to prevent underage drinking. (Source: WALB)South Georgia Starz working to prevent underage drinking. (Source: WALB)
    The College Football National Championship game just days away and tickets are pretty pricey, but so are DUIs. (Source: WALB)The College Football National Championship game just days away and tickets are pretty pricey, but so are DUIs. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany nonprofit is working to address underage drinking.  South Georgia Starz Academy has gotten a mental block grant, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration or SAMHSA.  

    More >>

    An Albany nonprofit is working to address underage drinking.  South Georgia Starz Academy has gotten a mental block grant, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration or SAMHSA.  

    More >>
  • Art museum brings out local families

    Art museum brings out local families

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:21 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:21:57 GMT
    Family day at the Albany Museum of Arts. (Source: WALB)Family day at the Albany Museum of Arts. (Source: WALB)

    For almost 10 years the Albany Museum of Art has encouraged families to explore their creative side.  Saturday was no different.

    More >>

    For almost 10 years the Albany Museum of Art has encouraged families to explore their creative side.  Saturday was no different.

    More >>
  • Groundbreaking for Lee Co veteran home

    Groundbreaking for Lee Co veteran home

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:17 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:17:57 GMT
    The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. (Source: WALB)The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. (Source: WALB)

    A South Georgia veteran's family will soon move into a new home, thanks to the hard work of volunteers.  The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. 

    More >>

    A South Georgia veteran's family will soon move into a new home, thanks to the hard work of volunteers.  The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly