Marie Road house burns - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Marie Road house burns

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An electrical short is blamed for a fire that destroyed an east Albany apartment.

About 11:40 Wednesday morning flames engulfed the Albany Homes apartment at 211 Marie Road.

Neither 43 year old Ronena Smith Fedd nor her 25 year old son Michael Hudson was home.

More than a dozen Firefighters, five trucks, an ambulance, and several police officers responded to the call.

Only two units of the four unit building were occupied.

Neighbors say flames were already coming through the windows before anyone noticed the fire.

We were in the house and the lights started flickering and everything", said neighbor David Wright. "We came outdoors to "see what was going on. We was in the back back there. That's when I came round here."

Power was cut to the entire building, displacing the second family.

Firefighters listed the damage as $75,000.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.