Marie Road house burns - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Marie Road house burns

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

An electrical short is blamed for a fire that destroyed an east Albany apartment.

About 11:40 Wednesday morning flames engulfed the Albany Homes apartment at 211 Marie Road.

Neither 43 year old Ronena Smith Fedd nor her 25 year old son Michael Hudson was home.

More than a dozen Firefighters, five trucks, an ambulance, and several police officers responded to the call.

Only two units of the four unit building were occupied.

Neighbors say flames were already coming through the windows before anyone noticed the fire.

We were in the house and the lights started flickering and everything", said neighbor David Wright. "We came outdoors to "see what was going on. We was in the back back there. That's when I came round here."

Power was cut to the entire building, displacing the second family.

Firefighters listed the damage as $75,000.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.