Bell gets 20 years for deadly shooting -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Bell gets 20 years for deadly shooting


Nearly a year after a deadly shooting outside an Albany apartment complex, the confessed triggerman was sentenced to prison Monday, but not for murder.

Timothy Bell escaped a murder charge but pleaded to a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter in the death of Melvin Green. He claimed self defense in the shooting.

"The only thing I can say is have mercy and do the right thing," said an emotional Kay Bell.

She asked Superior Court Willie Lockette for leniency before sentencing her son. The 34-year-old admitted shooting and killing Melvin Green outside Windover Apartments on West Gordon Avenue in October 2011.

"This defendant, Timothy Green, had been looking for Melvin Green for a couple weeks. Defendant Bell and Melvin Green exchanged words," said Assistant Dougherty District Attorney April Wynn.

She said Bell asked his friend Marcus Price for a gun at which point Melvin Green pulled a knife and shortly after shots were fired.

"Defendant Bell fired the firearm 5 or 6 times...striking Melvin Green," she said.

Green died a short time later at the hospital. His family members, at time emotional, spoke on his behalf.

"I really hope this gets some justice out of everything that happens. It's really taken an effect on my whole family. Lord knows it has," said Green's uncle Ulysses Taylor.

The victim's mother, Elizabeth Green, said, "It hurts me everyday. I may not get over it, but I'll forget it. Grandbaby's be crying. I be crying. I let them know everything's going to be alright. It's in God's hands."

Teresa Green told the court how her brother would often give free haircuts to kids around the neighborhood. When asked how his death had impacted her family she said, "When we cleared his house out of his belongings, we got his coat. My little girl walks around with that coat on saying I miss my uncle Melvin."

Because Green had a knife, the plea deal for voluntary manslaughter came with a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. Before sentencing Bell apologized to the family.

"Regardless of what everyone says in the streets, it didn't happen like that. I want them know that and I'm sorry for what I done and please forgive me."

Judge Lockette handed down the maximum sentence of 20 years in prison to be served concurrently with the 5 year sentence for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Bell had served time in the late 90's for burglary and aggravated assault.

With the maximum sentence handed down, Bell will head to state prison where at some point he will be eligible for parole.

He also must pay the family restitution of more than $4,000 for Green's funeral expenses.


Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

Powered by Frankly