Home-made power cord blamed for house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Home-made power cord blamed for house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:19:59 GMT
    James Smith, studentJames Smith, student
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
  • Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:14:47 GMT
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
  • Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:11:03 GMT
    Scott Vandermolen, Florida residentScott Vandermolen, Florida resident
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Fire Investigators say the cause of an Albany house fire Tuesday was an electrical extension cord that was spliced into a space heater.

Firefighters say the extension cord was spliced into the factory-installed cord of a space heater.

Investigators say an electrical short from that splice sparked a fire that burned the home in the 1300 block of Eager Drive Tuesday at 7:00 AM.

With cold weather coming on, firefighters urge people to use caution with space heaters.

"When you go in making modifications to something that has already been tested as it is, you should not do that anyway. The bottom line is, the length of the cord is designed for that unit. Anything extra puts a load on it that could cause a short," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

The occupants of the house, Tony Ratliff and Shawn Jenkins, did not claim responsibility for the heater and that spliced cord.

The fire did an estimated $15,000 damage to the home, forcing the family to move out.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.