Home-made power cord blamed for house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Home-made power cord blamed for house fire

Posted: Updated:
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Fire Investigators say the cause of an Albany house fire Tuesday was an electrical extension cord that was spliced into a space heater.

Firefighters say the extension cord was spliced into the factory-installed cord of a space heater.

Investigators say an electrical short from that splice sparked a fire that burned the home in the 1300 block of Eager Drive Tuesday at 7:00 AM.

With cold weather coming on, firefighters urge people to use caution with space heaters.

"When you go in making modifications to something that has already been tested as it is, you should not do that anyway. The bottom line is, the length of the cord is designed for that unit. Anything extra puts a load on it that could cause a short," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

The occupants of the house, Tony Ratliff and Shawn Jenkins, did not claim responsibility for the heater and that spliced cord.

The fire did an estimated $15,000 damage to the home, forcing the family to move out.

Copyright 2012 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow