Zimmerman defense allowed access to Trayvon Martin's records
George Zimmerman appeared in court Friday for a pretrial hearing in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. (Source: WAWS)
SANFORD, FL (WAWS/WKMG/CNN) – George Zimmerman's defense team won a small victory Friday, when a judge granted the defense team access to some records that may reveal more about shooting victim Trayvon Martin.
Zimmerman appeared in court Friday, as Circuit Judge Debra Nelson granted access to Trayvon's social media and school records. Defense attorney Mark O'Mara said the records speak to the victim's character and could uncover previous violent events.
"There are videos out there suggesting that he involved himself in MMA fighting," O'Mara said. "That he has an experienced level with that."
Prosecutors did not deny social media records but argued the school files were irrelevant. At the time of his death, Trayvon had been suspended from school for an empty bag with marijuana residue.
The prosecution team also received access to records in court. The defense agreed to release Zimmerman's medical records for the 30 days before and after the shooting.
A tentative trial date has been set for June 10.
Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in the February death of Martin. Zimmerman, who was on neighborhood watch, said he was acting in self-defense.
Copyright 2012 WAWS and WKMG via CNN. All rights reserved.
More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>