Worth County Fire and Rescue says fire started in back of house
House and two cars destroyed by fire
Deputy Gene Jones loses home to fire
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) -
A Worth County deputy lost his home Saturday in Sylvester to a massive house fire.
Deputy Gene Jones says he was only gone for about five minutes when he got the call that his home was engulfed in flames.
Worth County Fire and Rescue got the call around 4:00 p.m. this afternoon and responded to the two story house on Tempy Road.
They say while the cause of the fire is still under investigation, they believe flames sparked in the back of the house.
"It could be electrical backfiring, it could be an electrical serge out, or it could be ambers and flames itself making a popping noise, so it's hard to say what was popping. I know upon arrival there was a propane tank and the propane tank was blowing off so it was blowing off about 10-20 feet high, so that was fully involved too. So it started somewhere in back porch, garage area," says John Graddy with Worth County Fire and Rescue.
Officials say no one was hurt in the fire, but most of the house, along with two cars, were destroyed. The fire is still under investigation.