Murder and Arson Charged in Worth Fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Murder and Arson charged in Worth fire

50-year old Greg Fulghum's body was removed from the home hours after the fire was put out 50-year old Greg Fulghum's body was removed from the home hours after the fire was put out
It was likely an electrical short that sparked a deadly early morning fire It was likely an electrical short that sparked a deadly early morning fire
As firefighters worked tirelessly to put out the fire, neighbors watched from their nearby porches As firefighters worked tirelessly to put out the fire, neighbors watched from their nearby porches
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) -

A man taken in by a Worth County couple is accused of setting the fire that killed a man and badly burned another person in the home.

31 year-old Michael Carlisle is charged with murder and arson.

The State Insurance Commissioner's office says Carlisle lived in the home with the couple. Neighbors say Carlisle lived with the two a short time. They tell us the couple often took in boarders who needed a home. Authorities did not reveal a motive in the arson murder nor how they believe the fire was set. 50 year-old Gregory Fulghum, who was disabled, died in the mobile home on Fortune Street. Flames broke out around 6 o'clock Friday morning. 64 year-old Betty Booth was burned and is hospitalized in an Augusta burn center. Carlisle is being held in the Worth County Jail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was likely an electrical short that sparked a deadly early morning fire in Worth County. A disabled man was killed in the blaze, his wife was badly injured.

Investigators are searching through the charred rubble to figure out just what happened.

When firefighters arrived at the mobile home on Fortune Road, it was engulfed in flames. They were able to rescue Betty Booth Jackson, but her husband was already dead.

As firefighters worked tirelessly to put out the fire, neighbors watched from their nearby porches, hearts hurting for their beloved friends.

 "It's hurtful, it's very hurtful to see someone's life just go up in flames," said Barbara Crosby, who has lived across the street for nearly two years.

When Betty Booth Jackson screamed for help, she did all she could. "She was distraught, devastated, she wanted us to help her get her vehicle over here so it didn't make it worse."

Officials say the flames sparked early Friday morning but by the time firefighters arrived, it was too late.  "The call came in at 5:48 and they were dispatched out here and they found the trailer on fire and I was called about 6:30 from 9-11, saying they was a possible fatality inside,"  said Worth County Coroner Johnny Johnson.

And 9-11 was right. Fifty year old Greg Fulghum's body was removed from the home hours after the fire was put out. His wife, Betty, was rushed to the hospital with burns and smoke inhalation.  "She woke up choking on smoke and she tried to go in there and get her husband off the couch and he was in a wheelchair, he was paralyzed from his neck down," said Crosby.

 And while Betty Booth Jackson was too late to rescue her husband from the flames, she managed to save her three dogs and two goats from the property. Worth County Animal Control responded and say they'll be taking care of the animals free of charge.

 "We don't charge in this kind of situation, it's a tragedy, so yes we'll just hold onto them," said Sherri Hendley of Worth County Animal Control.

 Neighbors say anyone who is interested in making donations to Mrs. Booth can contact New Life of Albany where they are taking clothing, food, and monetary donations.

That mobile home is in Western Worth County, not far from Highway 300.

Copyright 2012 WALB. All rights reserved.

 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • breaking

    Officials determine deadly Lee Co. fire caused by electrical malfunction

    Officials determine deadly Lee Co. fire caused by electrical malfunction

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:37 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:37:13 GMT

    Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Lee County that killed two elderly women was accidental.

    More >>

    Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Lee County that killed two elderly women was accidental.

    More >>
  • Student leaves ASU after facing financial aid issues

    Student leaves ASU after facing financial aid issues

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:29 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:29:43 GMT
    A young girl left school at Albany State University on Friday. (Source: WALB)A young girl left school at Albany State University on Friday. (Source: WALB)

    It was an emotional Friday for the freshman A'Lauren Camp and her friends she had to say goodbye.  She said she is one of many students who had financial aid issues this year at Albany State University. 

    More >>

    It was an emotional Friday for the freshman A'Lauren Camp and her friends she had to say goodbye.  She said she is one of many students who had financial aid issues this year at Albany State University. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly