Saturday, May 18 2013 12:48 PM EDT2013-05-18 16:48:01 GMT
The family of an Albany teenager who died on Friday, isn't sure how they'll pay for her funeral. 16-year old Keyanna Lang died from a heart condition. Due to her illness the family couldn't keep lifeMore >>
The family of an Albany teenager who died on Friday, isn't sure how they'll pay for her funeral.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 8:00 AM EDT2013-05-18 12:00:09 GMT
In its effort to hire 10,000 new employees in May, Dollar General will host a career fair at Dollar General located at 2017 N Slappey Blvd. in Albany, Ga. on Saturday, May 18 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.More >>
The event is held as part of the major retailer's effort to hire 10,000 new employees in May...More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 11:58 PM EDT2013-05-18 03:58:09 GMT
A student-led effort to help cancer survivors ended up being a big success at a Lee County School. Friday students at Twin Oaks elementary school donated the proceeds from their effort to the Cancer CoalitionMore >>
A student-led effort to help cancer survivors ended up being a big success at a Lee County School. Friday students at Twin Oaks elementary school donated the proceeds from their effort to the Cancer Coalition of Southwest Georgia.More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 11:44 PM EDT2013-05-18 03:44:12 GMT
Furloughs for Marine Corps Logistics Base workers could start in less than two months. About 2,000 workers at the Albany base will have to take up to 11 unpaid days off in the next fiscal year that startsMore >>
Furloughs for Marine Corps Logistics Base workers could start in less than two months.More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 11:43 PM EDT2013-05-18 03:43:28 GMT
The Rat Pack came back to Albany Friday night. Sinatra and Friends performed at Doublegate Country Club to raise money for the Albany Symphony Association. The guys who play the roles of Frank Sinatra,More >>
People danced the night away to Frank Sinatra tunes.More >>
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) -
A man taken in by a Worth County couple is accused of setting the fire that killed a man and badly burned another person in the home.
31 year-old Michael Carlisle is charged with murder and arson.
The State Insurance Commissioner's office says Carlisle lived in the home with the couple. Neighbors say Carlisle lived with the two a short time. They tell us the couple often took in boarders who needed a home. Authorities did not reveal a motive in the arson murder nor how they believe the fire was set. 50 year-old Gregory Fulghum, who was disabled, died in the mobile home on Fortune Street. Flames broke out around 6 o'clock Friday morning. 64 year-old Betty Booth was burned and is hospitalized in an Augusta burn center. Carlisle is being held in the Worth County Jail.
It was likely an electrical short that sparked a deadly early morning fire in Worth County. A disabled man was killed in the blaze, his wife was badly injured.
Investigators are searching through the charred rubble to figure out just what happened.
When firefighters arrived at the mobile home on Fortune Road, it was engulfed in flames. They were able to rescue Betty Booth Jackson, but her husband was already dead.
As firefighters worked tirelessly to put out the fire, neighbors watched from their nearby porches, hearts hurting for their beloved friends.
"It's hurtful, it's very hurtful to see someone's life just go up in flames," said Barbara Crosby, who has lived across the street for nearly two years.
When Betty Booth Jackson screamed for help, she did all she could. "She was distraught, devastated, she wanted us to help her get her vehicle over here so it didn't make it worse."
Officials say the flames sparked early Friday morning but by the time firefighters arrived, it was too late. "The call came in at 5:48 and they were dispatched out here and they found the trailer on fire and I was called about 6:30 from 9-11, saying they was a possible fatality inside," said Worth County Coroner Johnny Johnson.
And 9-11 was right. Fifty year old Greg Fulghum's body was removed from the home hours after the fire was put out. His wife, Betty, was rushed to the hospital with burns and smoke inhalation. "She woke up choking on smoke and she tried to go in there and get her husband off the couch and he was in a wheelchair, he was paralyzed from his neck down," said Crosby.
And while Betty Booth Jackson was too late to rescue her husband from the flames, she managed to save her three dogs and two goats from the property. Worth County Animal Control responded and say they'll be taking care of the animals free of charge.
"We don't charge in this kind of situation, it's a tragedy, so yes we'll just hold onto them," said Sherri Hendley of Worth County Animal Control.
Neighbors say anyone who is interested in making donations to Mrs. Booth can contact New Life of Albany where they are taking clothing, food, and monetary donations.
That mobile home is in Western Worth County, not far from Highway 300.