Here is the list of current and former Bulldogs participating in the Olympic Games in London, England... Participant (*C/F) CountrySportEvent(s) Chris Colwill (F) USADiving3m Springboard Dan LaakMore >>
Here is the list of current and former Bulldogs participating in the Olympic Games in London, England...More >>
ATHENS, GA (WALB) -
Information from the University of Georgia
Twenty-six athletes, one coach and one administrator with ties to the University of Georgia will be participating in the Olympics in London July 27-Aug. 12.
"We could not be prouder of these young men and women," UGA Director of Athletics Greg McGarity said. "We'll all be watching the Olympics with a keener eye knowing that so many Bulldogs will be competing. I think it's great that we have current, past and future student-athletes participating in the Olympics, and there's no question they will share a unique bond in London. It shows how special the Georgia programs represented are in terms of their foundation, their tradition, and their success in their arenas."
Here are the sports involving current, former and/or future Georgia student-athletes:
• Men's tennis (July 28-Aug. 5): John Isner, United States.
• Swimming (July 28-Aug. 10): Andrew Gemmell, Kara Lynn Joyce, Allison Schmitt, Shannon Vreeland and Amanda Weir, United States; Troyden Prinsloo and Wendy Trott, South Africa; Yousef Alaskari, Kuwait; Matias Koski, Finland; Brittany MacLean, Canada; Sarah Poewe, Germany; and Ediz Yildirimer, Turkey.
• Women's volleyball (July 28-Aug. 11): Elizabeth Reid, Great Britain.
• Track and field (Aug. 3-11): Hyleas Fountain, Reese Hoffa and Kibwe Johnson, United States; Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie and Shaunae Miller, Bahamas; Andras Haklits and Martin Maric, Croatia; Sultana Frizell, Canada; Jenny Dahlgren, Argentina; and Levern Spencer, St. Lucia.
• Men's diving (Aug. 6-7); Chris Colwill and Assistant Coach Dan Laak, United States. Colwill was recently named the captain of the U.S. men's diving team.
Former women's basketball star Teresa Edwards, a Cairo native, will serve as the United States Olympic Committee's Chef de Mission. Edwards is a five-time Olympic medalist, and she will provide overall leadership to Team USA and will function as the liaison officer between the London Organizing Committee, the International Olympic Committee and other National Olympic Committees at the Games.
The Olympics will be televised daily on WALB and NBC, starting July 27th.