Tuesday, May 21 2013 12:03 AM EDT2013-05-21 04:03:02 GMT
Paramedics tell us they're amazed no one was seriously hurt in a rush hour crash just outside Albany Monday evening. The driver of a pickup truck lost control on Philema Road just before 5:00. The truckMore >>
The driver of a pickup truck and his passenger walk away from the mangled wreckage after a crash.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 12:02 AM EDT2013-05-21 04:02:59 GMT
An unusual wreck on Albany's bypass Monday night left the highway littered with yard debris. About 9:30, a car collided with a trailer that was hauling tree limbs on the Liberty Expressway between theMore >>
Wrecked cars and yard debris slow traffic on Albany's bypass.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:45 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:45:07 GMT
Moultrie Police tell us they have the accused triggerman in a shooting in custody after two weeks on the run. Police arrested 19-year-old Darren Huntley over the weekend in Waycross. 22-year-old DominiqueMore >>
Moultrie Police tell us they have the accused triggerman in a shooting in custody after two weeks on the run.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:37 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:37:21 GMT
Students at a South Georgia University are working together to make it into the workforce. Nursing students at Georgia Southwestern asked business students to help them prepare for their job searches. HumanMore >>
Students at a South Georgia University are working together to make it into the workforce.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:28 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:28:47 GMT
A lot of South Georgians are all too familiar with the damage a tornado can do. An EF-3 tornado roared through Americus six years ago. It killed two people and destroyed Sumter Regional Hospital andMore >>
A lot of South Georgians are all too familiar with the damage a tornado can do.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -
For many South Georgians, the fourth of July is not complete without fireworks or grilling out.
Firefighters urge you to use caution with fireworks, even sparklers.
In Georgia, the only legal fireworks are sparklers.
But firefighters warn they are still dangerous.
They can burn between two and three thousand degrees.
The U-S Product Safety Commission says sparklers were involved in almost 60% of fireworks injuries suffered by children under age 5.
"When you light a sparkler, do not run with it, " said Inspector Gwen Jennings. "Hold it away from your body and once it goes out, put it in a bucket of water."
Firefighters urge parents to take their kids to fireworks shows put on by professionals rather using fireworks at home. If you do use fireworks, use extreme caution.
The fourth of July traditionally is the biggest day for grilling out food across America. South Georgia firefighters want you to think about fire safety while you enjoy the holiday.
Firefighters urge folks grilling out to keep an eye on their bar-b-que at all times,and not to walk off and forget the fire.
Unattended cooking is the number one cause of house fires, and that includes grilling out. Firefighters say use common sense to prevent a tragedy.
Jennings said "You need to make sure you cook in the backyard, not under an awning. And when your coals are hot, leave them there until they cool off."
Charcoal grills that turn over can spark house fires hours after the food is done. Firefighters say never try to throw away hot coals, and keep a barrier around the grill to prevent children from running into it.