SEMINOLE COUNTY, FL (RNN) - A judge on Tuesday refused the alter the conditions of release for the man charged with the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.George Zimmernman is still not allowed to leaveMore >>
A judge on Tuesday refused the alter the conditions of release for the man charged with the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.More >>
The following is a transcript of a speech by Martin O'Malley, governor of Maryland, at the Democratic National Convention. Greetings from Maryland, home to the number-one public schools in America forMore >>
The following is a transcript of a speech by Martin O'Malley, governor of Maryland, at the Democratic National Convention. More >>
Embattled neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman may speak to the media for the first time since the shooting of an unarmed teenager.More >>
(RNN) – The fundraising website created to support George Zimmerman's legal defense has been shut down.
Zimmerman launched the website TheRealGeorgeZimmerman.com on April 10 to communicate messages to his supporters and solicit donations.
But his attorney, Mark O'Mara, said his legal team is trying to set up a defense fund through the Division of Consumer Service that meets legal requirements.
"I've started the process to properly authorize his legal fund," O'Mara told FoxNews.com. "I do not want him to have any Internet presence, and that site has been taken down."
O'Mara said that several fake websites and Twitter accounts appearing to support Zimmerman have popped up in recent weeks.
Zimmerman had said on his homepage, which featured an image of the American flag in the background, that he established the site because other people were collecting money for his defense, but he had not received any of it.
A post on the website dated April 10 said he was trying to respond to each of his supporters personally.
Zimmerman disappeared from public view since he fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26 while Martin was visiting his family in a gated Sanford neighborhood.
Zimmerman claimed he has not worked since the shooting in fear for his safety. Public backlash from the incident has resulted in protests and threats to Zimmerman and his family.
He turned himself in last week and was charged with second-degree murder.
O'Mara said during a bond hearing for Zimmerman on Friday that his client was financially strapped.
Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, said via phone testimony during the hearing that the family would have to "scrape together anything they could" to post bail.
Shellie Zimmerman is a nursing student who is not employed, and both Zimmerman's parents are retired.
Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. set a $150,000 bond for Zimmerman and placed numerous restrictions on him, including forbidding him to work.
Zimmerman was released from police custody early Monday morning after posting bail.
His trial is not expected to start for several months.
Copyright 2012 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.