Two dead from carbon monoxide poisoning - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Two dead from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death

    Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death

    Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death

    Saturday, August 23 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-08-23 17:00:20 GMT
    The Rev. Al Sharpton urged marchers to remain nonviolent or go home Saturday ahead of a rally seeking justice in the death of an unarmed black man placed in a chokehold by a white police officer.More >>
    The Rev. Al Sharpton urged marchers to remain nonviolent or go home Saturday ahead of a rally seeking justice in the death of an unarmed black man placed in a chokehold by a white police officer.More >>
  • Gay bathhouses nationwide face uncertain future

    Gay bathhouses nationwide face uncertain future

    Gay bathhouses nationwide face uncertain future

    Saturday, August 23 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-08-23 17:00:17 GMT
    (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). In this Wednesday, July 30, 2014 photo, the solar deck of the North Hollywood Spa is viewed in Los Angeles.(AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). In this Wednesday, July 30, 2014 photo, the solar deck of the North Hollywood Spa is viewed in Los Angeles.
    Gay bathhouses that once remained in the shadows to stay in business are now seeking attention to keep their doors open.Some are doing aggressive online advertising and community outreach. More >>
    Gay bathhouses that once remained in the shadows to stay in business are now seeking attention to keep their doors open.Some are doing aggressive online advertising and community outreach. More >>
  • Update: Albany house fire intentionally set in living room

    Update: Albany house fire intentionally set in living room

    Update: Albany house fire intentionally set in living room

    Saturday, August 23 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-23 16:57:32 GMT
    604 West Gordon Avenue House Fire604 West Gordon Avenue House Fire
    Albany Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday morning on West Gordon Avenue.More >>
    Albany Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday morning on West Gordon Avenue.More >>

With colder temperatures here, staying warm can turn deadly.

Friday morning, two men in metro Atlanta died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The two Kennesaw men were trying to stay warm in a house that had no electricity.

The generator allowed carbon monoxide fumes to slowly build inside the home.   

"Well one thing about carbon monoxide is that it's odorless, colorless and tasteless. So you don't know that you have carbon monoxide poisoning until you start feeling some of those symptoms," Modern Gas VP Mark Holloway.

Albany Fire Chief James Carswell says it's often makeshift heating sources, used when people don't have electricity, that puts lives in danger.

"We don't advocate bringing in anything that's not designed to be in the home to heat, in the home. Charcoal grills, there are for the outside. Never bring them into the home," said Chief Carswell.

Holloway says in desperate times, people resort to dangerous measures to stay warm.

"When people get really desperate this time of year and they'll buy something like this. This is a construction heater to be used in construction sites and not meant to be used in doors. You should never take a propane cylinder inside the house," said Holloway.

Holloway also suggests investing in a carbon monoxide detector. This is another prevention to detect the silent killer.

"Get a carbon monoxide detector. If you have a carbon monoxide detector and it operates on batteries, go ahead and check your batteries now and make sure it's in good operating order," said Holloway.

Holloway says knowing the dangers of carbon monoxide can save your life.

A couple of symptoms you may experience with carbon monoxide poisoning are nausea, headaches and other flu like symptoms. Officials say get to a well ventilated place and, if necessary, call 911

Now those Carbon monoxide detectors only cost around $25, and burning wood also gives off carbon monoxide, so make sure your chimney hood is properly ventilated.

 

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.