Autopsy shows children died from smoke inhalation - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Autopsy shows children died from smoke inhalation

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus runner back in Boston

    Americus runner back in Boston

    Monday, April 21 2014 4:39 AM EDT2014-04-21 08:39:51 GMT
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. @ ThisMore >>
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. More >>
  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

Autopsy results show three children killed in a weekend fire in Valdosta died from smoke inhalation.

5-year old Amarion Hollis, 4-year old Amari Hollis, and infant Juan Anderson died after a grease fire on the stove.

It caught the kitchen cabinets on fire and spread through the house on North Forrest Street around four a.m. Saturday.

The children were in a bedroom.

The fire chief says this has been an emotional loss for the community, family, friends, and firefighters.

"It was just devastating for them to find children like that," said Chief J.D. Rice. "There was nothing they could do. It took a long time to convince them. 'you've done everything you could.' Those kids didn't have a chance. The one thing we stress to everybody is that you've got to have a working smoke alarm in the house."

Saturday the Valdosta fire department will conduct a smoke detector blitz in neighborhoods near where the fire took place.

Firefighters will go door-to-door offering to install smoke detectors in homes or to check installed detectors to ensure they are working properly.

They say they've been inundated with calls about smoke detectors, so they're asking the community to donate them.


Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

 

Powered by WorldNow