City, county employees get free health exams - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

City, county employees get free health exams

Some Albany and Dougherty County men are a little more aware of their possible health problems Thursday.

Hundreds of men went to the Government Center for free prostate exams, blood pressure tests, and body mass index readings.

This is the seventh year for "Men At Work," and one Dougherty County worker says it has saved lives over the years.

"We have had about three or four discoveries of employees with serious problems that they were not aware of. Those problems have been corrected and they are healthier employees now who are still with us," said Dougherty County Resource Specialist Charlie Crapps. 

Darrell Sabbs works for Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, which sponsors "Men At Work." He says having the screenings in a public place helped get over one hundred men get checked.

"We're moving outside the walls of the hospital. And we're bringing prostate screening and awareness and prevention to men in our community."

 Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men according to the CDC. Men are told to get a prostate exam after they turn fifty years old.

"As most men are, especially African-Americans, we're very concerned about prostate illness and disease that come with it as we age. So, I'm doing my best to keep a check on it," said Chucky Mathis, Assistant Public Works Director for Dougherty County.

But, some younger men showed up for the health screenings too. "I'm kind of young so this is not something you do every day, but it's very important to your living. So, I came today to see exactly what I need to work on my health," said Dougherty Co. Tax Appraiser Rakesh Abad.

 Most men came back with good reports. But, many were told they need to drink more water. Changes like that can keep Dougherty County men at work.

The hospital says men with a family history of prostate cancer should get checked when they turn thirty-five.

 

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly