Albany woman burned in motel room fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany woman burned in motel room fire

An Albany woman was burned on the hands while trying to put out a fire in an East Albany motel room Monday.

26 year old Alexis Redding awoke to flames in another bed in her room at the Econo Lodge on East Ogelthorpe Boulevard.

Redding's four year old son was also in the room. Redding used her blanket to try to put out the fire, which set both the mattress and box springs ablaze.

Investigators are still looking into the fire, but firefighters believe the child started it.

Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow said "It appears to us it was probably the juvenile playing with a cigarette lighter. But we're unable to tell for sure because the juvenile, of course, because of his age, is reluctant to say anything."

Redding was treated by paramedics for her burns. Firefighters estimated the damage at about $500  to the bed, but the room itself was not damaged.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • UPDATE: Two dead in early morning Lee fire

    UPDATE: Two dead in early morning Lee fire

    Friday, September 22 2017 11:27 AM EDT2017-09-22 15:27:51 GMT
    One person was in the yard, and two were inside (Source: WALB)One person was in the yard, and two were inside (Source: WALB)

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>
  • President Carter to be honored at GSW Presidential Plaza dedication

    President Carter to be honored at GSW Presidential Plaza dedication

    Friday, September 22 2017 11:26 AM EDT2017-09-22 15:26:12 GMT

    Dedication of Georgia Southwestern State University's "Presidential Plaza"  is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at the Wheatley Administration Building Lawn, on the Georgia Southwestern State campus in Americus. This new area on campus serves as the centerpiece to the University's signature entrance.  The west or front side of the plaza features a set of planted hedges that spell "GSW." The east or plaza side includes a mounted hand signature in cement from Pre...

    More >>

    Dedication of Georgia Southwestern State University's "Presidential Plaza"  is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at the Wheatley Administration Building Lawn, on the Georgia Southwestern State campus in Americus. This new area on campus serves as the centerpiece to the University's signature entrance.  The west or front side of the plaza features a set of planted hedges that spell "GSW." The east or plaza side includes a mounted hand signature in cement from Pre...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly