UPDATE: Unattended stove fire kills three dogs - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Unattended stove fire kills three dogs

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:19:59 GMT
    James Smith, studentJames Smith, student
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
  • Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:14:47 GMT
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
  • Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:11:03 GMT
    Scott Vandermolen, Florida residentScott Vandermolen, Florida resident
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>

A fire in north Albany Wednesday leaves a family grieving over the loss of their pets.

The fire started in the kitchen of the home in the 1400 block of 10th Avenue around 7:30.

The family was not home but their three small dogs were trapped inside.  

"We found three dogs inside , there were no human victims inside. We removed the victims [the dogs] outside, but the three of them expired by the time we arrived," said Battalion  Chief Keith Ambrose.

The home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage, and firefighters were unable to get to the dogs in time.

AFD Chief James Carswell says food left cooking unattended on the stove is the cause of the fire. Two of the three dogs were in cages in the kitchen.

 

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.