Albany firefighter injured battling house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany firefighter injured battling house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

An Albany firefighter suffered a broken ankle while battling a blaze in East Albany.

About 5:30 Monday morning, firefighters put out the fire at this vacant home on Valentine Avenue.

Mark Phelps, who's been with the Albany Fire Department for less than a year,  was injured when part of the floor gave way beneath him.

Investigators say vagrants started the fire.  Albany Fire Department Chief James Carswell said  "either doing drugs or trying to prepare food, it looks like they were setting a fire on the floor in the bathroom, which spread to the rest of the house."

Investigators are still looking for the people responsible for starting the fire.

Phelps was treated at the hospital and will miss some time on duty while he recovers.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.  

 

Powered by WorldNow