Clinch Co. mulch fire continues to burn - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Clinch Co. mulch fire continues to burn

Posted: Updated:

It started early Wednesday morning at the Ohio Mulch company destroying storage units and wood products and causing millions of dollars in damage.

Firefighters are still trying to figure out how it started.

Massive fire at Ohio Mulch in Clinch County destroys several wood and mulch piles, storage sheds, equipment and a maintenance shop. We met up with Jim Weber the owner of the company moments after he flew into Homerville today from Columbus, Ohio. It was difficult for him to take it all in.

"Just devastation," said Weber. "I've never seen something like this before."

How much damage do you think it caused?

"In excess of over a million dollars," said Weber.

Units from several counties have been called to help out. Just recently Ware and Jeff Davis counties joined in.

"We got units all the way around it trying to keep it protected and trying to protect their product they already have ready to go," said Strickland.

 Thankfully, this building where they bag the mulch hasn't been destroyed.

 "That's very good news," said Weber. "The majority of the employees will still be able to work and continue to work and we'll rent some temporary equipment."

Firefighters were called out around 5:20 Wednesday morning.

A passerby saw the fire from Highway 84 this morning and called it in. We're told flames were as high as 200 feet.

"Our fire officials have been busy and have done a great job at keeping these contained," said Len Robbins, the Clinch County public information officer. "We had a fire northwest of here in the Arabia Bay that's still going and still have one in the Okefenokee."

And under these dry conditions fire is no joke and firefighters have been trying to keep the fire out of the thick woods and save as much as they can at the Ohio Mulch Property.

Investigators reviewed surveillance tape and say it appears the fire started around 4:40 this morning, possibly from an electrical short in a loader but they're not sure of the cause yet.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback