Attapulgus family experiences second fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Attapulgus family experiences second fire

Posted: Updated:

ATTAPULGUS, GA (WALB) - All the Spooner family can do now is walk through what's left of their Attapulgus home. Lightning struck the roof around eight Thursday morning creating a fire.

Decatur County Fire and Rescue had to wait for the power company to turn off the electric before the fire could be attacked. "We held it at bay until we knew we could actually get the power cut off. It was arcing inside pretty good," said Decatur County Fire Chief Charlie McCann.

The Spooner family chose not to speak on camera, but they told me this was not their first fire. A faulty wire from an electric can opener sparked flames in December 1990.

Teresa Spooner says they were able to fix the damage from that fire. Unfortunately this fire is being classified as a total loss. "Half of the structure is gone as far as the roof and all the interior and the other half is melted from heat and smoke," said McCann.

Decatur County Fire and Rescue was on the scene as well as all of the county volunteer fire stations.

Fire Chief Charlie McCann says although the fire is out, the area is still dangerous. "Where we had to try to hold it off in the attic, we got water in the attic. Some of the sheet rock had fallen. Swelling from soaking up all that water from the other side. We still run that risk of the sheet rock falling in."

Teresa Spooner lived here with her husband Eddie and their two grandchildren. Luckily, they were on their way out of town when the fire broke out.

Teresa Spooner says as terrible as this incident was, she's grateful no one in her family got hurt.


Copyright 2011 WALB. All rights reserved. Feedback