Ocilla firefighters attempt to put out house fire three times - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Ocilla firefighters attempt to put out house fire three times

Posted: Updated:

By  Stephanie Springer  - bio | email

OCILLA, GA (WALB) –Ocilla firefighters were called to a house fire three times in just a matter of hours.

It all started Sunday night, when they responded to a fire in the kitchen, a little later that fire flared up again but Monday morning the entire house went up in flames.

Firefighters say the fat lighter wood, and insulation made it almost impossible to detect where the fires were inside the walls.

Travis Campbell had no idea he would wake up to a burning home, "We just lost everything, the house burned down," he said.

Around 7:00 Monday morning, the house he and his wife rent went up in flames. "It was kind of strange the way it all happened," said Campbell.

Strange because the fire department had been to the home twice last night in an attempt to put out smaller fires, "The first time they thought they had it out, the second time they thought the fire was out and the third time just did it in," said Campbell.

The family says the first fire started from the stove last night, but they were able to put it out on their own using a fire extinguisher and water.

Since the fire was out once firefighters got there, they looked for hotspots or any other signs of fire. But an hour later the fire flared up again, "We put the Thermal imagery in to see if we could find anything and we didn't see anything," said Captain Kenneth Hendley.

But Monday morning, the house went up in flames. "Why didn't they do what they had to do the first two times they came," said Tori Killiebrew.

Now the family says they have to start over.

Firefighters say it's because the house was old and it was built with fat lighter wood, "Once those fires get started it's real hard to put them out," said Capt. Hendley.

Thermal imagery equipment couldn't detect any sign of flames each time they left that's because they say the fire was hidden in the walls and possibly inside the chimney,

The home is a loss, but the family says they are thankful they and their children were not injured.

The fire department has requested the state arson investigator to come in and investigate the fire.  Investigators say they don't do this all the time, but if they need assistance in the investigation, they contact the state.

The family is staying with relatives, and the Red Cross has come in to assist as well.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback

@

Powered by WorldNow