Carbon monoxide poisoning may have killed Worth Co. woman - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Carbon monoxide poisoning may have killed Worth Co. woman

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:05:53 GMT
    The federal courthouse in Albany, GAThe federal courthouse in Albany, GA
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
  • Breaking

    Jury struck in salmonella outbreak trial

    Jury struck in salmonella outbreak trial

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:50:27 GMT
    Sign at the Peanut Corporation of AmericaSign at the Peanut Corporation of America
    A jury is expected to be struck Thursday morning in the trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia.More >>
    A jury is expected to be struck Thursday morning in the trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia.More >>
  • Campaign to help adults go back to college

    Campaign to help adults go back to college

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-07-31 12:55:40 GMT
    Georgia officials are teaming up with the state's universities and technical colleges to get adults back in School. The campaign will help returning students with scheduling and course selection.More >>
    Georgia officials are teaming up with the state's universities and technical colleges to get adults back in School. The campaign will help returning students with scheduling and course selection.More >>

By Tayleigh Davis - bio | email

WORTH COUNTY, GA (WALB) - State and county officials are investigating a Worth County woman's death after family members discovered her inside her mobile home Saturday morning.

The Worth County Sheriff's Office says carbon monoxide may have leaked from her heater over night. That's what investigators believe right now, but it's still under investigation.

The family says the odor inside her home this morning was so strong they could hardly breath.

It was a normal Friday. The sister of 61-year-old Mary Alice Williams had taken her to the doctor. She was in good health and went to sleep inside her mobile home at 249 Mossy Oaks Drive. Her family went to check on her around 8:30 a.m. and found her lying on her bedroom floor unresponsive.

The Worth County Sheriff's office says Williams may have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning from her heater, but the State Fire Marshal's Office still has to confirm that. Her family says the ventilation system in her unit may not have been working properly.

Even though carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless, colorless gas, the family says they smelled a strong musty type smell this morning when investigators were on scene.

The gas company turned off supply until repairs are complete on a new heating unit. Williams' brother Melvin Williams lives in the mobile home. He didn't sleep here Friday night.

He says the home was built in 1987 and he doesn't believe the heating unit has ever been replaced. The family says Williams was a special needs patient who liked to volunteer at a nearby school.

She's survived by her two sisters and younger brother. We'll know exactly what Williams died from once we receive the autopsy results. Right now the State Fire Marshall's office is currently investigating.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback