Electrical short caused historic house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Electrical short caused historic house fire

By Jade Bulecza - bio | email

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) –Firefighters believe an electrical short caused the oldest house in Valdosta to burn.

Flames ripped through the J.T. Roberts house on Wells Street Wednesday morning.

Firefighters think squirrels may have chewed through a wire.

The fire started on the back porch of the house that was built in 1845.

The house was vacant and restoration was almost finished.

The Valdosta Heritage Foundation has owned the house for 11 years.

"You can't rebuild a historic house," said Tom Haller, the Valdosta Heritage Foundation president. "It's irreplaceable but we just have to lick our wounds move on and make the best decisions we can."

Monday night the Heritage Foundation will meet to talk about what to do with what's left of the J.T. Roberts House.


©2011WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.  Feedback

 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Tifton drug dealer sentenced after heroin death

    Tifton drug dealer sentenced after heroin death

    Friday, February 23 2018 3:46 PM EST2018-02-23 20:46:39 GMT
    Albany Federal Courthouse (Source: WALB)Albany Federal Courthouse (Source: WALB)

    A Tifton man is going to federal prison for 12 years after a woman was found dead in his room, in 2015.  Bobby Earl Grantham, Jr., 49, of Tifton, had already pled guilty.

    More >>

    A Tifton man is going to federal prison for 12 years after a woman was found dead in his room, in 2015.  Bobby Earl Grantham, Jr., 49, of Tifton, had already pled guilty.

    More >>
  • STAR students, teachers saluted

    STAR students, teachers saluted

    Friday, February 23 2018 2:44 PM EST2018-02-23 19:44:00 GMT
    STAR students and teachers (Source: Albany-Dougherty Chamber)STAR students and teachers (Source: Albany-Dougherty Chamber)

    The Albany Area Chamber of Commerce hosted the 60th annual Dougherty County Student Teacher Achievement Recognition (STAR) luncheon, during which high-achieving high school seniors and their teachers were honored and during which the overall county STAR student was announced. 

    More >>

    The Albany Area Chamber of Commerce hosted the 60th annual Dougherty County Student Teacher Achievement Recognition (STAR) luncheon, during which high-achieving high school seniors and their teachers were honored and during which the overall county STAR student was announced. 

    More >>
  • VIDEO: South GA boy gushes about school breakfast

    VIDEO: South GA boy gushes about school breakfast

    Friday, February 23 2018 2:18 PM EST2018-02-23 19:18:25 GMT
    Brody lives in Omega. And he loves breakfast. (Source: Facebook)Brody lives in Omega. And he loves breakfast. (Source: Facebook)
    Brody lives in Omega. And he loves breakfast. (Source: Facebook)Brody lives in Omega. And he loves breakfast. (Source: Facebook)

    Brody just started eating breakfast at school. And y'all, it's so good!

    More >>

    Brody just started eating breakfast at school. And y'all, it's so good!

    More >>
Powered by Frankly