Flames aren't confined to barrel - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Flames aren't confined to barrel

Posted: Updated:

By Jennifer Emert - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – An attempt to stay warm while working outside in East Albany sent thick black smoke into the sky, and firefighters have a warning for you.

Albany firefighters were called to 1318 East Broad Avenue to put out a trash fire.  A man working outside at Diggers Thrift Store was using a warming barrel to fight the chill. He walked away from it for just a short period but it was enough to ignite debris outside the barrel, sending several refrigerator parts up in smoke.

Firefighters say you should never leave a fire unattended.  "Anytime you ave a fire, the key to it is a controlled burn like they had here, it was in a barrel and it was under control, but they messed up when they left it unattended. Anytime you have a fire any type fire you need to stay with it," said AFD Deputy Chief Alan Cravey.

It didn't take firefighters long to douse the flames. They cautioned the business to be more careful and warned others to keep a close eye on warming barrels on job sites.

Copyright 2011 WALB.  All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow