ALBANY, GA (WALB) –Albany Firefighters say an electrical transformer outage Monday morning caused the evacuation of one of Albany's largest office buildings.
Smoke was spotted on the third floor of the Albany Towers on Roosevelt Avenue just before 9 AM and the building was evacuated. Dozens of people stood outside shivering in the cold, or sat huddled in cars while firefighters looked for the source of the smoke.
Adrian Guyton said "The fire alarms kicked in, and then everybody was coming down stairs. They were telling me there was a fire on the third floor. Did you smell any smoke? Yea, you could smell smoke as you was coming back down, down stairs."
Firefighters say the smoke was from an air conditioner motor, that overheated due to the partial power being fed by the malfunctioning transformer. Firefighters allowed people to return inside the Towers 45 minutes later.