ALBANY, GA (WALB) – Firefighters believe it was vagrants that started Monday morning's fire at 1206 Radium Springs Road just before 3.
Firefighters say the house was vacant but candles, beds and other furniture they found inside are proof that people were seeking warmth and shelter inside when the house caught fire.
"We see that all the time especially when it gets cold and drops down below 39 they'll get in whether you've got it boarded up or not," said Arthur Dyer, Battalion Chief with the Albany Fire Department.
The fire appears to have started in the back bedroom of the home. They haven't determined yet if it was candles that sparked the fire, although it appears that's the case.
Firefighters say these types of fires are keeping them busy this winter.