Neighbors wake man in burning home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Neighbors wake man in burning home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
  • Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:46:45 GMT
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>

By Ryan Houston - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) –  The bitter cold has increased the fire danger as South Georgians struggle to heat their homes.

There homes have burned in Dougherty County in two days because of chimney fires.

At 7:00 Tuesday morning, Firefighters responded to a house fire at 200 South Davis. Neighbors had to rescue the man sleeping inside, when they spotted flames around the chimney.

The blaze started from the fireplace, then spread to the wall, by the time it reached the roof firefighters had it under control.

Hope Elliot was asleep in the home, when his neighbors knocked on the window and woke him up just in time. He said he started to fight the fire himself until Firefighters arrived.

Although most of his belongings are gone his just happy to be alive.

"When the neighbors woke me up, I started to fight the fire myself. Next thing I know the fire department was here," he said.

"We had a fire get into the attic. It started from the fireplace while a gentleman was trying to stay warm," said Battalion Chief  James Ambrose.

Firefighters say Elliot's home was a complete loss.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved. 
  Feedback

Powered by WorldNow