Fire begins in fireplace at Albany home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire begins in fireplace at Albany home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach dies

    Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach dies

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:14:40 GMT
    Law enforcement officials in Florida say a 9-year-old girl has died from injuries suffered when she was hit by a plane that crash-landed on the beach where she was walking with her father.More >>
    Law enforcement officials in Florida say a 9-year-old girl has died from injuries suffered when she was hit by a plane that crash-landed on the beach where she was walking with her father.More >>
  • Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death

    Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death

    The parents of a south Georgia teenager found dead inside a rolled-up gym mat at school have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against school administrators.More >>
    The parents of a south Georgia teenager found dead inside a rolled-up gym mat at school have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against school administrators.More >>
  • Dougherty Co. teacher fights for her job

    Dougherty Co. teacher fights for her job

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:34 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:34:40 GMT
    Felicia Ezeamii, with her attorney, Charles CoxFelicia Ezeamii, with her attorney, Charles Cox
    The tribunal hearing for Felicia Ezeamii, a Merry Acres middle school teacher, is underway. Ezeamii was given a non-renewal of her contract in April. Flynn Coleman, the school system attorney, says educatorsMore >>
    The tribunal hearing for Felicia Ezeamii, a Merry Acres middle school teacher, is underway. She was given a non-renewal of her contract in April.More >>

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) – The people living at 2400 Hemlock Street were in their den when they noticed the fire in their fireplace getting out of control Sunday night They called 911 and firefighters put out the flames and smoldering fireplace and chimney around 7:15.

Battalion Chief Clarence Haynes hopes other homeowners remember to take precautions before starting a fire as the winter-like temperatures roll in.

"They need to have the fireplace clean every year. The chimney needs to be cleaned and checked and whenever you start a fire in the fireplace the first time of the season make sure it's clean," said Haynes.

The family made it out safely. No one was hurt.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback