Man breaks window to save family from fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man breaks window to save family from fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • UPS to hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers

    UPS to hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:19 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:19:12 GMT
    UPS said it expects to hire approximately 90,000 to 95,000 seasonal employees to handle increased demand for package deliveries over the holiday season.More >>
    UPS said it expects to hire approximately 90,000 to 95,000 seasonal employees to handle increased demand for package deliveries over the holiday season.More >>
  • Local artists auction work to benefit Albany Humane Society

    Local artists auction work to benefit Albany Humane Society

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 4:07 AM EDT2014-09-16 08:07:28 GMT
    Animal lovers can give back to the Albany Humane Society in a very unique way. Local artists will be auctioning off their work to benefit the non-profit organization through Artists for Animals. More >>
    Animal lovers can give back to the Albany Humane Society in a very unique way. Local artists will be auctioning off their work to benefit the non-profit organization through Artists for Animals. 
    More >>
  • Worth County is Camera Ready

    Worth County is Camera Ready

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:56 GMT
    Karen Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive DirectorKaren Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
BAINBRIDGE, GA (WALB) -

By LeiLani Golden - bio | email

BAINBRIDGE, GA (WALB) –A Decatur County man's quick thinking likely saved his life and his nephews Thursday.

Roderick Anderson awoke to find his house on fire. But he didn't panic, saying he only had one thing on his mind: getting his young nephews safely out of the house. 

There was no smoke alarm or fire truck siren to alert Roderick Anderson of the danger in his home Thursday morning.

"Something told me to wake up. So when I opened my eyes, I saw smoke and a blaze coming from the living room area," Anderson recalls.

And only one thing crossed his mind.

"I knew then I had to get my nephews out. That's all that mattered."

But with a fire just outside the bedroom door, there was only one way out.

"I bust the window out."

Anderson grabbed his 4-year old nephew first and dropped him out the window. He then reached back for his 1-year old nephew.

"And I hugged him in my arms and fell out the window with him," Anderson explains.

Soon neighbors and firefighters surrounded his home.

"I looked out my window and saw the reflection of lights and said my goodness what's going on?" remembers neighbor Mary Wadner. "I just wondered about the children."

Anderson's sister-in-law, the boys' mother, also rushed to the home from work.

"Very hysterical. She was panicking. And like I told her, I should have been the one panicking. But I didn't panic, so don't you panic," he says.

But Anderson says the shock is now wearing off.

"We were planning on having Thanksgiving dinner out there with family. But now we've lost everything and I don't know what to do. Junior keeps saying that his TV and game is gone. That's what he loved the most."

Anderson's grateful no one was hurt. And he says the fire should serve as a valuable lesson to others.

"Always have an escape route. Always plan," he warns. "And never block windows with nothing cause they do save lives."

"I'm so proud of him I don't know what to do," gushes Wadner. "I just hope the best for them."

As they enter the holiday season, with nothing but each other.

Firefighters believe an electrical short in the living room started the blaze.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback