Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:26 PM EDT2013-06-19 19:26:33 GMT
We are learning new details about the man who was rescued Tuesday in Ocilla after he became trapped a top of a grain elevator. 36-year-old John Collins of Fitzgerald was repairing a motor one hundredMore >>
36-year-old John Collins of Fitzgerald was repairing a motor one hundred feet a top the grain elevator at Irwinville Peanut when his arm got pinned in the machinery. More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 1:31 PM EDT2013-06-19 17:31:17 GMT
Moultrie Technical College unveiled its new $9.5 million, 46,000 square-foot Health Sciences Building Wednesday. The brand new structure is located at the school's Veterans Parkway Campus (VPC) in Moultrie. RepresentativesMore >>
Moultrie Technical College unveiled its new $9.5 million, 46,000 square-foot Health Sciences Building Wednesday. The brand new structure is located at the school's Veterans Parkway Campus in Moultrie. More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 12:10 PM EDT2013-06-19 16:10:40 GMT
Ravi Mikel Givens was arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He is being held in the Dougherty County jail. Givens, who played ball at Westover and StetsonMore >>
Agents say that police responded to the apartment because of a burglar alarm. Officers found the back door broken open and went inside. That's where they detected a strong odor of marijuana, and saw pot in plain view.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 10:16 AM EDT2013-06-19 14:16:37 GMT
Demetria Porter, charged with causing the death of Ja' Kavion Davis, appeared before a judge at the Dougherty County jail this morning to hear the charges against her. She is charged with cruelty to aMore >>
Demetria Porter, charged with causing the death of Ja' Kavion Davis, appeared before a judge at the Dougherty County jail this morning to hear the charges against her.More >>
ASHBURN, GA (WALB) - Things are finally getting back to normal in Ashburn after the city had to shut down 50 miles of its natural gas system. Officials say a large commercial natural gas customer leaked propane in the system by crossing service lines.
The city had to turn off gas to all customers Friday afternoon before workers could empty the lines. Crews have been going door to door turning gas back on. It's been a long two days for workers, not mention an inconvenience for businesses and residents in the city.
"It's been a long night and a long day," said Natural Gas and Propane Director Roger Giddens. "I couldn't believe it happened but it did."
Giddens has been working along side city workers the past 30 plus hours to fix the problem. He says businesses called late Friday morning suspecting problems. That's when the city checked levels and noticed propane mixed with the natural gas. It's a problem that could become very dangerous if not fixed immediately.
The city had to cut off gas around 10:00 Friday night at the Waffle House which was peak time for business right after the football game. They coped with the problem by cooking food and pancakes on electric skillets.
The gas was back on around 11: 00 in the morning. Their makeshift set-up did cost a temporary bottleneck in business, but the manager says staff handled the situation well considering the circumstances. City manager Ben Taylor is also pleased with the response form surrounding communities.
"That was a very big undertaking and we couldn't have done it without the help of other cities and we would like to thank them," said Taylor.
If your gas is still off the city manager urges you to not to turn it on yourself. Workers will be back Monday to resolve existing issues.
The city has not announced plans to file suit against the company that leaked propane gas. No word on exactly how much propane leaked into the natural gas system.
Ashburn residents in need of emergency assistance regarding the natural gas concern should call 911.