Albany apartment fire sparked by water heater - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany apartment fire sparked by water heater

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -An early morning fire heavily damages two units in a West Albany apartment complex.

A man driving by saw smoke billowing from the apartment building at 1624 Maryland Avenue about 9 Thursday morning and called 9-1-1.

Alfreda Wilder was not home when the fire broke out in her apartment.

Firefighters say the blaze was started by the electric water heater which was completely surrounded by piled up items.

The water heater overheated and set those materials on fire.

Fire Chief James Carswell says the fire could have caused more damage if it had not been spotted quickly. Carswell said  "Much worse. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. It was kind of isolated back in the back. So it probably would have done a lot more damage if he hadn't saw it."

Firefighters say the fire damaged two units and caused an estimated 30-thousand dollars in damage.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Dougherty Co. Commission approves 2018-19 budget

    Dougherty Co. Commission approves 2018-19 budget

    Monday, June 25 2018 2:20 PM EDT2018-06-25 18:20:37 GMT
    Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)
    Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)Dougherty County commissioners voted 6 to 1 to increase the budget by 3 mils. (Source: WALB)

    Dougherty County Commissioners voted in a 6 to 1 discussion to increase the 2018- 2019 budget by 3 mils.  

    More >>

    Dougherty County Commissioners voted in a 6 to 1 discussion to increase the 2018- 2019 budget by 3 mils.  

    More >>
  • Crews repair back of convenience store following break-in

    Crews repair back of convenience store following break-in

    Monday, June 25 2018 12:48 PM EDT2018-06-25 16:48:33 GMT
    The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)
    The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)The back of the convenience store on Newton Road (Source: WALB)

    Crews are repairing the back of an Albany convenience store following an early morning break in. A red truck backed into the Citgo gas station's convenience store on Newton Road. 

    More >>

    Crews are repairing the back of an Albany convenience store following an early morning break in. A red truck backed into the Citgo gas station's convenience store on Newton Road. 

    More >>
  • Valdosta Fire Dept. welcomes 10 new recruits

    Valdosta Fire Dept. welcomes 10 new recruits

    Monday, June 25 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:55:25 GMT
    VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)
    VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)VFD has 10 new recruits to add to the fire department team. (Source: Ashlyn Becton)

    The Valdosta Fire Department held a family and friends day Saturday welcoming 10 new recruits to the team.  The event allowed the community to come out and welcome the new firefighters and their families to the Valdosta Fire Department family.  

    More >>

    The Valdosta Fire Department held a family and friends day Saturday welcoming 10 new recruits to the team.  The event allowed the community to come out and welcome the new firefighters and their families to the Valdosta Fire Department family.  

    More >>
Powered by Frankly